Skip to main content

The Ring of Kerry

The Ring of Kerry is just as stunning as people have described. I went on the shorter tour but that didn't prevent me from seeing some of the most gorgeous mountain landscape I've ever seen. Watching the world rise and fall while on the bus was so interesting. Where I live the there are no mountains or high peaks. There are woods and place for hikes, but nothing compared to the scenery of Ireland.


I loved being able to look out the window and see the ever-changing scenery before me. I honestly wish we could've gone to longer route so I would have been able to see different angles of the landscape.

There are times I dream of a peaceful life, living in a place where mountains and rivers surround me, and I live alone with animals to keep me company. It's a simple life but being around a busy city isn't the ideal place for me. I prefer a quiet place with nature that is far enough from civilization that I can enjoy peace and quiet but close enough I can still go to my typical stores.

This fantasy lifestyle reminded me of a Yeats poem that has resonated with me ever since I've heard it. It is called The Lake Isle of Innisfree, and it talks about the desire the escape to a peaceful place in nature. The feelings that I had while looking at the nature surrounded me reminded me of how I felt when reading this poem. Some of my favorite lines are:


"I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,

And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;"

Since these lines describe my little fantasy of living in a cabin alone, I genuinely really like this poem. The Ring of Kerry is filled with secluded spots that evoke the same peaceful connection that Yeats yearns for in his poem. If I haven't made it clear yet, I had a wonderful time on this little bus tour and I highly recommend this trail to anyone who loves nature as much as I do. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunluce Castle

Being from America, I don't have the opportunity to see castles within everyday life, so having the opportunity to see the ruins of an old medieval castle was almost like a dream. As most girls, I grew up watching Disney Princesses and would daydream of living in a castle and get to wear dresses and run around the halls. As an adult I now know that is not what princesses do and that is not what I want to spend my days doing, but seeing a castle was still a bucket list item for the little girl inside me. The Dunluce castle, though in ruin, was still absolutely beautiful. There were so many intricate parts of the castle like stairs leading up a tower to a tall, amazingly preserved window. I honestly felt like I could have stayed there for hours. The view, however, made the entire experience. The castle sits atop a hill that overlooks the Atlantic Ocean and oh my goodness I would kill to wake up with that breathtaking view. I have always felt very connected to nature, maybe it's ...

Fairy Lane

       While on a scenic bike ride on the Waterford Greenway trail, I came across what could only be described as another world. Greenery incases you from all sides and branches with low hanging leaves sway above you. The world smelled fresh and a sense of calm and beauty just fills your soul. You truly couldn't help taking long deep breathes to fully emersed yourself in its beauty. As you venture further down this path, it becomes even more whimsical as little fairy doors start popping up along the walls. Faires have long been a part of Irish culture as they are depicted as guardians of nature. These beings are playful but troublesome as they interact with humans in unexpected ways. In Amercian culture, we depict fairies as playful, nice creates as we related them to movies like Tinkerbell. Lovable creatures, filled with magic and determination love but fear humans all the same.      When I was little, my grandma and I bonding over my very own fairy g...

Kylemore Abbey

The Kylemore Abbey is a surreal fairytale castle that is filled with historical relics from the Victorian time period. The grounds are filled with lavish gardens, nature trails, a beautiful gothic church, and pigs you can feed! The castle itself is 40,000 square feet and has over 70 different rooms. In total, there 1,000 acers to explore, and all the gorgeous sights make it easy to lose track of time. I frankly could have spent hours there exploring the grounds of the spectacular estate. Unfortunately, you couldn't see much in the house. I wish were able to see more of the bedrooms and upper levels of the house. However, the gardens did not disappoint. Even though the flowers were no in bloom yet, the place was absolutely gorgeous. I wish I was able to spend more time outside and explore the different nature trails they had there. I was able to see the main gardens and the pigs, so I definitely got my nature fill for the day. The gothic church was also a sight to behold. The outer ...