Skip to main content

Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral

This might have been the most architecturally beautiful churches I have ever seen. There is so much intricate detail on this building I know I didn't even come close to seeing it all.


The entire church is massive and as you walk around the building, you can see gravestones littering the gassy patches. When you first walk up to the front doors, there are three spires that contribute to the vertical appearance of the cathedral and follows along in typical gothic architecture style. The carvings and sculptures really make this place spectacular though. There are detailed biblical figures, saints, and scenes from religious stories, and they are all breathtaking to behold. The inside of the cathedral is equally as gorgeous. There are stained-glass windows, intricate woodwork, and the most magnificent marble alter I've ever seen. The inside decor was strongly influences by a mix medieval and Victorian styles. 

Along with its obvious beauty, it has a rich history of its intertwining faith and place as well as how it stands as a sign of cultural and spiritual resilience. And it's not just me who thinks that. Irish poet Seamus Heaney actually wrote a poem a


bout Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral explaining this. His poem highlights how this building transcends its architectural form as it represents the collective memory, faith. and identity of a community over a long period of time. The poem is called Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral and after reading it, I couldn't find one or two lines that stood out to me the most, so rather than trying to pick, I figured I would post the whole poem so you can hopefully be able to grasp the message Heaney was trying to convey. 

The cathedral’s spires, rising above the streets,
Are symbols of the faith that took root here,
Of St. Fin Barre’s steadying hand,
And of the hope, in stone, that never will fade.

From the high altar, Christ's broken body
Offers solace to the weary,
A solace shaped in the curves of the stone
That echoes down the centuries.

Here, time flows like a river of saints,
Through the arches, beneath the soaring dome,
Where every inch of stone bears witness
To the sacredness of this hallowed ground.

Even now, amidst the busyness of the streets,
The cathedral stands, a tower of stillness,

A place of peace, where history and faith
Come together, shaping who we are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunluce Castle

Being from America, I don't have the opportunity to see castles within everyday life, so having the opportunity to see the ruins of an old medieval castle was almost like a dream. As most girls, I grew up watching Disney Princesses and would daydream of living in a castle and get to wear dresses and run around the halls. As an adult I now know that is not what princesses do and that is not what I want to spend my days doing, but seeing a castle was still a bucket list item for the little girl inside me. The Dunluce castle, though in ruin, was still absolutely beautiful. There were so many intricate parts of the castle like stairs leading up a tower to a tall, amazingly preserved window. I honestly felt like I could have stayed there for hours. The view, however, made the entire experience. The castle sits atop a hill that overlooks the Atlantic Ocean and oh my goodness I would kill to wake up with that breathtaking view. I have always felt very connected to nature, maybe it's ...

Fairy Lane

       While on a scenic bike ride on the Waterford Greenway trail, I came across what could only be described as another world. Greenery incases you from all sides and branches with low hanging leaves sway above you. The world smelled fresh and a sense of calm and beauty just fills your soul. You truly couldn't help taking long deep breathes to fully emersed yourself in its beauty. As you venture further down this path, it becomes even more whimsical as little fairy doors start popping up along the walls. Faires have long been a part of Irish culture as they are depicted as guardians of nature. These beings are playful but troublesome as they interact with humans in unexpected ways. In Amercian culture, we depict fairies as playful, nice creates as we related them to movies like Tinkerbell. Lovable creatures, filled with magic and determination love but fear humans all the same.      When I was little, my grandma and I bonding over my very own fairy g...

Kylemore Abbey

The Kylemore Abbey is a surreal fairytale castle that is filled with historical relics from the Victorian time period. The grounds are filled with lavish gardens, nature trails, a beautiful gothic church, and pigs you can feed! The castle itself is 40,000 square feet and has over 70 different rooms. In total, there 1,000 acers to explore, and all the gorgeous sights make it easy to lose track of time. I frankly could have spent hours there exploring the grounds of the spectacular estate. Unfortunately, you couldn't see much in the house. I wish were able to see more of the bedrooms and upper levels of the house. However, the gardens did not disappoint. Even though the flowers were no in bloom yet, the place was absolutely gorgeous. I wish I was able to spend more time outside and explore the different nature trails they had there. I was able to see the main gardens and the pigs, so I definitely got my nature fill for the day. The gothic church was also a sight to behold. The outer ...